21 walkers assembled at the Bull’s Head, Arthingworth, on an unseasonally warm and dry February morning. We were pleased to welcome two new ladies, Caroline and Ann, who joined us for the walk and were keen to join the club.
After a short briefing, Chris S led us on her first walk as leader. We walked along the road, past St Andrew’s Church then headed east across the the undulating fields with clear views towards Harrington, eventually dropping down to cross the River Ise at Newbottle Bridge.
By now the sun was shining as we steadily made our way up the hill on a country road to St Peter and St Paul’s Church Harrington for our "banana break”. The numerous snowdrops and aconites in the graveyard were at their peak of perfection so the keen photographers of our merry band were able to snap away.
We then continued on the pavement up into the village of Harrington and past the Tollemache Arms to reach the footpath to take us back to Arthingworth. From the footpath, we were able to see "The Falls”, the remains of the medieval fishponds and terraces as well as sunken garden belonging to the manor, which was pulled down by the Lionel Tollemache in 1745.
Back marker and chairman
After climbing a few stiles, we reached the old bridge to, once again, cross the River Ise and then walk back to the Bull’s Head where we were joined by Margaret B and David S for a well-earned lunch.
Thanks to Julie S and John A for all their help as support and back markers.
Chairman's note. A very big thank you to Chris S on leading her first walk which she did in a most assured manner and provided a wealth of information en route. She also provided this excellent report.