14 walkers plus 2 dogs! set off from the Bulls Head Arthingworth for a figure of 8 walk consisting of a six mile route via Harrington stopping off at the church for a short break. We took the path that leads from the rear of the churchyard continuing across a small valley leading to a short climb into the hamlet of Thorpe Underwood. The route continued over the River Ise at Newbottle Bridge and thence along the bridle path back into Arthingworth. A very pleasant route with excellent views.
7 of the party remained for the afternoon walk( plus an additional walker making 8 in total) of 4 miles approx , the route of which commenced in a northerly direction via round spinney before turning left onto the lane leading down to Oxendon. It was torches out time as we walked through the Oxendon tunnel on the Brampton valley way avoiding some inconsiderate cyclists who were racing through without putting lights on. The leader gave a brief history of the route and explaining that it dated from 1859 and linked Market Harborough with Northampton. Our route continued southwards along the Brampton valley way before exiting left onto a pleasant metalled track leading across the fields back into Arthingworth. The weather was good until on the approach to Arthingworth what started off as a shower soon became torrential making driving conditions unpleasant driving back home on the A14! But all in all an enjoyable days walking with encouraging support.
Thanks to David S for organising and leading this walk and also for providing this report. Thanks to Sarah S for acting as back marker.
Apologies for delay in publishing pictures but there were a few technical issues to sort out.
Thanks to Julie S and Ian B for providing pictures. Additional thanks to Ian for help in resolving issues with uploading pictures. Apologies if some are out of sequence.
No show without Punch
Which way to Rowell?
Luxury river cruises?
My one was a 1955 black one.
Wharncliff viaduct. One of Brunel's early works.
Around 29 walkers in the car park of the Dukes at Woodford in glorious Spring sunshine for a five mile walk. Good to see Val W back after a long absence also Pat D and dog Darcy.
Our route took us down through the village past the church and along a good hard surfaced track then across the old railway line to Willie Watt Mill.
This was followed by a section along a raised footpath then turning right along the side of Ringstead fishing lake. Considering this road does not really go anywhere a surprising amount of traffic was encountered.
We then turned onto the track of the old railway line and headed in the direction of Thrapston. After a mile or two we took our banana break on one of the old bridges which provided seating for all. A group picture was taken and is shown below.
On reaching Woodford Lock the path then led up into Woodford Spinney whose shade was most welcome.
A final field took us back to the village and the pub where we were joined by Ann R for a most excellent lunch where the chairman partook of the pub's famous " Dog's Dinner" which is a mixture of meat and vegetables in large Yorkshire Puuding all within a dog' dinner bowl. A picture is shown below.
Thanks to John A and Julie S for organising and leading an excellent walk.
Thanks also to Carna B for providing the pictures below.
Passing Willie Watt Mill.
Mother Goose and family.
No such thing as a quiet country road
At least Dr. Beeching gave us some nice paths to walk on.
Banana break bridge
"This Happy band."
The path through Woodford Spinney
The Dukes at Woodford.
A real Dog's Dinner.
15 walkers set off from Blisworth for what turned out to be a
challenging walk! The plan was to walk
along the footpath which heads over the Blisworth canal tunnel to Stoke Bruerne
and then back on the other side over the fields.
The weather forecasted occasional light showers. This turned out to be rather inaccurate as it
rained continuously all day. This, added
to the previous 36 hours of rain, turned the footpaths into streams, ponds and
a complete quagmire in places! The
walkers slipped and paddled on without grumbling with five people finding
themselves sitting in the mud at some point.
However, there was another problem as after about twenty minutes walking
they encountered a heard of cows, their calves and a large bull in the middle
of the narrow footpath. There was no
way round possible and after a few minutes of arm waving and shouting they
conceded that in this stand off the walkers were the losers! They reversed back to join the road and made
Work began on the Blisworth tunnel in 1793 and is 3km in
length. It was dug by hand claiming the
lives of 19 navvies over the years.
Originally the only methods of travel through the tunnel was by ‘legging’
where men lay on their backs on top of the narrowboats and pushed the boats using
their feet against the tunnel walls. In 1871 steam tugs were used and extra
ventilation shafts were built. These can
be seen from the footpath running parallel to the tunnel.
The tunnel emerges near Stoke Bruerne and the walkers made
their way down the old tram path to the canal side. The previous week when the walk had been
recce’d had been sunny and the canal side was buzzing with visitors and trading
boats. Today in the dismal weather it
was deserted which was disappointing.
Still, not to be daunted, most of the walkers headed to the pub where
they enjoyed a good meal in the dry.
Some went to the café where the bacon buttie was excellent. The canal museum is very interesting and
worth a look round. Outside the museum
the Historic boat, Sculptor, is moored.
This war time working vessel was commissioned as a firefighting boat
during the London Blitz based in Middlesex.
It now part of the museum.
After the break the walkers set off back to Blisworth
following a route away from the tunnel line and over fields. Much more mud was to follow but luckily no
more cattle. Some animals were seen away
in a distant field. It can only be
presumed that many people need a visit to an optician as there was considerable
debate whether they were Alpaca, llama or even deer!
A large solar farm had been installed over several
fields. Not much power being generated
The weary eventually arrived back at Blisworth at 3.30pm
after an eventful and testing walk.
The leaders would like to thank them all for being to
patient, stoical and cheerful despite the conditions. Also for walking so conscientiously on the rather long stretch of road that we were
forced into doing.
Thanks to Sue and Peter H for their heroic efforts in leading this walk under the prevailing conditions and to the walkers who were undaunted by a little drop of rain. Thanks also to Sue H for providing this report and the pictures below.
The rice harvest looks a bit iffy this year.
On by far the hottest day of the year so far 26 walkers gathered in the car park of the Black Horse at Nassington ready for a five mile walk.
A variety of warm weather fashion was on display including a pair of khaki shorts which had probably last seen the light of day at El Alamein in 1942.
Our route took us past the parish church where a magnificent Magnolia was in full flower.
An easy walk across some fields led us to a bridge crossing the old Market Harborough to Peterborough railway line then to Ring Haw Field Centre which is run by the Wildlife Trust.
This building was at one time the weighbridge/office from when the area was extensively quarried for both ironstone and limestone to feed the blast furnaces at various steelworks including Corby.
A nice steady pull up a gentle slope on a good track took us across old workings past banks of primulas.
After a short road stretch we entered Sulehay Woods and found some shade from the relentless sun.
The Bluebells were just starting to appear and in another week or so will make a brilliant display.
Our break was taken over looking an old sand quarry where the chairman had to remind members that the club's liability insurance does not cover skinny dipping.
On leaving the woods a short road section took us to the outskirts of Yarwell then after a number of fields we passed under the old railway line which we had crossed earlier and back into Nassington.
On returning to the pub we slaked our thirsts and had an excellent lunch.
Thanks to Keith B and Lou L for organising and leading the walk.